OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR AVAM STUDIOS 2012-2013
OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR AVAM STUDIOS DEVOTED TO ARTISTIC PRODUCTION 2012-2013
The aim of this open call is to facilitate the access of artists to work spaces in the city of Madrid in order for them to continue their career in affordable conditions, thus responding to demand in the sector.
The implementation of the programme AVAM STUDIOS is the result of close collaboration between AVAM and Madrid City Council, through the Arts Department and EMVS, in order to provide artists with professional space which is specifically tailored to the production of art, in connection with the artistic community at local, regional, national and international level.
1 .- Purpose
The purpose of this open call is to offer plastic and visual artists access to studios for temporary use, with optional services, and to propose activities which boost exchange, visibility, promotion and continuous training.
Services and activities: Technological advice
Professional visits in the artistic, cultural and political fields
Open Studios / Day Events open to the public
Presentation of projects in other artistic spaces
Artist workshops for the community
The characteristics and conditions of use of these studios are the following:
Geographical location of studios: Avenida de Los Poblados 171, on the corner with Calle del Doctor Tolosa Latour. 28041 Madrid.
Number of studios: 4. Dimensions: · Studio No. 1: 47 sq. m.
· Studio No. 2: 30 sq. m.
· Studio No. 3: 34 sq. m.
· Studio No. 4: 33 sq. m.
Features of each studio: electricity, natural daylight and central overhead white electric lighting, wi-fi internet connection, running water, heating and air conditioning, door for loading and unloading (with the exception of Studio No. 4), door to common area, basic furnishings (chest of drawers, armchair, stool, fixed table). User artists may provide the necessary materials and equipment for their work. Toilets and shower are located in an area common to the four studios. Plans and technical specifications are available at www.avam.net
Features of artists' technological resource area: This area is devoted, upon request, to all artists, whether they be beneficiaries of the studios or not, who require the use or professional technological advice to undertake their work. This area possesses the option of a specialised technician in accordance with the hours and conditions established by AVAM.
Period of use of each studio: a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 15 months. In all cases, during a period from 1 January 2012 and 31 March 2013.
Studio opening and closing times: Open continuously during morning and afternoons. To gain access for professional reasons at other times, notification is essential on the part of the artist, who must also obtain specific authorization from AVAM.
Cost of studio use: Beneficiaries must defray the cost of using the studios through a monthly payment to AVAM. · Studio No.1: 350 euros/month · Studio No.2: 225 euros/month · Studio No.3: 255 euros/month · Studio No.4: 225 euros/month
Payments will increase annually in accordance with the Retail Price Index.
AVAM STUDIOS offers a 10% discount to those artists who are AVAM members.
Monthly electricity and water bills will be added to the above prices.
Deposit: Prior to occupancy, the beneficiary of each studio must pay AVAM a deposit which corresponds to two monthly payments. This will be repaid when usage is concluded, whenever there is no damage to studios or common areas attributable to the user.
Access to use the studios: Once the studios have been assigned by the Evaluation Committee, each beneficiary will sign with AVAM a document authorizing their use, with the conditions and obligations indicated in this open call and in accordance with the decision of the Evaluation Committee. Authorisation of access to use the studios will come into force from January 1, 2012 for the first beneficiaries.
Use of the studios may be requested by those artists or collectives of plastic and visual artists who require a studio or workshop for their work, who undertake a specific project or who are beginning a process of artistic research and experimentation.
In the case of physical persons (artists), applicants must be able to demonstrate their training or artistic background in the field of plastic and visual arts.
In the case of juridical persons (an artists' collective), their purpose must be related to contemporary creation in the field of visual and plastic arts, with a background which may be demonstrated.
3.- When and where to present applications.
From 17 October 2011 to 18 November 2011 inclusive.
On termination of this period there will be no acceptance of application or information complementary to the forms already submitted. In the case of mailed applications, the postal date registered at the corresponding post office will be regarded as the delivery date.
Application will be made using the APPLICATION FORM at www.avam.net/talleresavam/application.html . The form may also be collected at AVAM, / Extensión AVAM - Matadero Madrid, Paseo de la Chopera 14, 28045 Madrid, from 10am-2pm from Monday to Friday (except public holidays); as well as at the reception desk in Matadero de Madrid, Paseo de la Chopera 14 or Plaza de Legazpi 8, from 4pm-10pm from Tuesday to Friday.
What to present:
1. Completed application form including the following information: name, surnames, date of birth, nationality, address, locality, province, postcode, telephone numbers, e-mail address, and website (optional). On the form, the applicant must provide the preferred dates for using the studios during the 2012-13 period (providing these dates in natural months). Similarly, he/she should list the studios in order of preference.
2. Photocopy of National Identity Card or passport in the case of physical persons.
3. Photocopy of Company Fiscal Number, in the case of a juridical person.
4. Statement of compliance with the monthly payment for the studio assigned.
5. Curriculum vitae (maximum of 1,000 words) for physical persons. Report on activities and/or projects undertaken (maximum of 1,000 words) over the past two years in the case of collectives or juridical persons.
6. Complementary documentation of recent work. Originals, attached documentation such as catalogues, brochures, original work etc., will not be accepted. In the case of audiovisual projects, the artist must provide a DVD with his/her dossier.
7. If presenting a concrete project to be undertaken, the artist must provide a report on the project.
8. Complementary documentation must be presented in A3 or A4 size with a maximum of 10 sheets; if delivery is made by post this must be bound. Applications not conforming to this requirement will be disregarded for organisational and evaluational reasons.
9. The application and dossier attached must be presented in Spanish.
Where to present application form:
1. By hand or by post under the title of “Open Call AVAM STUDIOS 2012-13” to: AVAM, Paseo de la Chopera 14, 28045, Madrid. Times: Monday to Friday from 10am to 2pm. Applications will be disregarded if presented by hand after 18 November, 2011 and outside the times indicated, or in the case of a mailed application bearing a postmark subsequent to this date.
2. By e-mail: The required documentation may be sent to the following address:
This allows the attachment of complementary documentation by means of a pdf file or a zip file, when appropriate. No e-mail application received after midnight on 18 November, 2011 will be considered. The files not higher than 2Mb.
Receipt of applications and attached documentation: AVAM will send an e-mail confirming receipt of the application and documentation when submitted by e-mail or by post. For deliveries by hand, AVAM will provide a receipt. If this confirmation is not received, it should be understood that the documentation has not been received at AVAM's offices. Complaints to this respect lodged after 18 November 2011 will be disregarded.
4.- Evaluation Committee for the awarding of studios
For the evaluation and selection of applications presented, an Evaluation Committee will be formed. It will comprise:
- Chairperson: The Chairperson of AVAM, or a delegate holding a position on the AVAM administrative board
- Three members:
- The General Director of Cultural Projects of the Arts Department of Madrid City Council, or a delegate
- The Director of AVAM, or a delegate
- One artist, of recognised prestige, designated by the Monitoring Committee of AVAM and the Arts Department of Madrid City Council.
- Secretary: The Coordinator of AVAM, without voice or vote.
The Chairperson of the Evaluation Committee will hold the casting vote.
A Technical Committee comprising 2 AVAM technicians and two from the Arts Department will advise the Committee on the viability of the applications, in terms of the nature of the work or project to be undertaken and the spatial and technical characteristics of the studios.
The Evaluation Committee may interview applicants or request complementary information from them in order to better perform the functions it has been charged with.
The decision of the Evaluation Committee is final.
5.- Period for declaring the result of the open call
The Evaluation Committee will examine and evaluate the applications and documentation presented in accordance with the criteria which are set out in point 6 of this open call.
Once the applications have been evaluated, the Committee will issue the result within a maximum of 30 days, counted from the day on which the period for presenting applications elapses.
Finally, the Committee will draw up a list of the artists selected, establishing a calendar of occupancy of the studios during the period between 1 January 2012 and 31 March 2013 inclusive, together with a waiting list in the case of withdrawals.
The decision will be communicated in writing to each applicant selected and published on www.avam.net.
6.- Evaluation Criteria. When evaluating applications, the Evaluation Commission will consider the following criteria:
- The quality and coherence of professional background and of the project to be undertaken
- The spatial and technical requirements for the work to be undertaken in terms of the physical attributes of the studios.
7.- Monitoring the use of studios and the obligations of beneficiaries
To ensure proper monitoring of the studios, to inform the AVAM/Arts Dept. Monitoring Committee and to incorporate the information into the annual report on the AVAM STUDIOS programme, an AVAM administrator will undertake periodic personal interviews with those artists using the studios.
The persons and/or collectives selected in this open call give the following undertakings:
1. To accept the decision of the Evaluation Committee, To do so, they must communicate in writing their acceptance of the studio within five working days, counted from when they are notified of the temporary award of the studio. Otherwise, it will be understood that the artist has declined, which will be understood as the relinquishing of his/her rights, and the studio may be awarded to the substitute with the highest placing and successively thereon.
2. To comply with the general and particular rules of the studios, in accordance with timetables, calendar and the instructions of AVAM. Also, to behave in a civic manner when working together and using the studios.
3. To undertake their work within the time period and conditions stated in the open call. Otherwise, authorisation to use the studios may be automatically revoked by AVAM.
4. To pay AVAM the cost of using the studio through a standing bank order in the first five days of each month.
5. To reimburse AVAM either once or twice a month, when appropriate, for the cost of water and electricity.
6. To use the studios exclusively to comply with the aims stated in these conditions. Any change of intention or studio usage will produce the automatic revocation of the authorisation to use the studios. The studio may never be used for anything other than as a space for artistic production, there being no authorisation for its use as a store, deposit, home, exhibition space, meeting centre etc.
7. To respect the installations, both the studio and common areas, and to pay the corresponding deposit, which will be returned once the period of use is over and the installations have been checked. If the artist deems it necessary to paint, make holes in or make any other modification to the space during its use, he/she must request specific permission for this purpose and will assume the responsibility to return the studio to its former state. At the end of the contract, it will be obligatory and the artist's responsibility to leave the space clean and tidy, to remove any rubbish, to avoid leaving any personal furniture, materials or other objects. Otherwise, a financial estimate of the deterioration to the space will be made and the deposit will be employed to remedy this. If the deposit is insufficient to cover the cost of damage, the corresponding amount will be requested.
8. To allow the entry into the studio of personnel at the behest of AVAM for urgent and necessary structural repairs or upkeep.
9. To collaborate with AVAM in undertaking specific activities aimed at promoting coexistence between the Studios and the neighbourhood.
10. Participation with supervision and coordination of AVAM in those activities focussed to show the production processes the developed in AVAM Studios 2012-13, with the participation of professionals from the cultural world (critics, curators, managers, directors and technicians from exhibition spaces and museums, cultural administration officials, cultural journalists from the general or specialised media etc.)
11. To authorise AVAM to display part or all of the project or work carried out by the artists who are beneficiaries of the studios, in common agreement with them, through its website and its annual reports.
12. To refer to AVAM STUDIOS 2012-13 when disseminating and publicising the work they have produced at the studios under the title: “This project has been produced at AVAM STUDIOS 2012-13”.
The persons or collectives selected in this open call are not authorised to:
1. Use the studios for ends which differ from those stated in these conditions.
2. Transfer or provide use of the studio to any person or group different from those authorised.
3. Undertake work which requires the use of toxic products or industrial tools generating noise above permitted levels or which represents a danger to the space or the artist him/herself. This rule is subject to the safety and physical conditions of the studios.
Authorisation of the use of studios will be annulled, after the beneficiary has been heard, whenever the beneficiary commits either of the following:
- Failure to perform the activity which gave rise to the authorisation to use the studio.
- An unjustified lack of compliance with the conditions set out in this open call.
8.- Return of documentation presented by applicants
For the postal return of documentation, an appropriately-sized, correctly-stamped envelope must be included and must bear the postal address at which it should be received. Documentation will also be returned in person at the AVAM office from 10am-2pm during the 30 working days following the announcement of the decision. After this period has elapsed, AVAM will not be responsible for documentation.
9.- Interpretation and acceptance of conditions
Any doubt which may arise relating to the interpretation of these conditions will be resolved by AVAM.
Participation in this open call supposes full acceptance of the rules which regulate it. Failure to comply with any of the obligations set out in these conditions supposes the immediate suspension of the agreement, irrespective of the responsibility to whom it may give rise.